Download free Diagnostician version of IBFirstAID/FBFirstAID and check your database now!
IBFirstAID and FBFirstAID are tools that can automatically diagnose and repair corrupted InterBase or Firebird databases. IBFirstAID/FBFirstAID is the only solution for automatically repairing corruption that neither gbak nor gfix can handle. It uses its own layer for low-level database access without using the InterBase or Firebird engine, so it can perform real "surgical" operations and repair your database when all other standard mechanism's cannot.
Using IBFirstAID/FBFirstAID together with other standard recovery means such as the default gfix and gbak utilities it is possible to repair a corrupted database in more than 80% of all cases. IBSurgeon has a free Diagnostician version of IBFirstAID which you can use to accurately check the actual database status. It will analyze the low-level data structures in your database and present you with a detailed log of what may be wrong in the database.
You can send the diagnostic log to our support service for a free answer on whether your database recoverable or not, whether its recoverable by IBFirstAid directly, or whether we need to perform some manual work to assist the recovery process. We will also try and estimate how much of your data can be recovered if there really is a serious problem that will not allow 100% recovery.
There are a number of possible corruptions that IBFirstAID has been designed to repair and correct. These are listed below:
- Internal gds software consistency check (cannot find tip page (165)) The required Transaction Inventory Page is corrupt and the database cannot be opened. It is expected in this instance that neither gbak nor gfix will be able to repair your database (except in the case of a Read Only database). IBFirstAID will repair the missing pages and recover the database.
- Unknown database I/O error for file "*.gdb" Error while trying to read from the database file. This usually indicates that a number of database pages have probably been lost at the end of the database file (power failure?). In this instance the database cannot be opened. Gfix cannot repair this. IBFirstAID will recreate the missing system pages and deletes the wrong pointers.
- Database file appears corrupt. Wrong page type. Page NNN is of wrong type (expected X, found Y) This error can indicate a number of problems. But typically there are missing pages in the database, or the page that is being accessed is not the expected page type. For example, if the expected page type is 5, it can mean that some data may have been corrupted within a table. Such a corruption may prevent a sucessful backup backup or may make the table unavailable to the database. IBFirstAID fixes the wrong page pointers and repairs the database.
- Wrong record length. Cannot find backversion. IBFirstAID will check every record in database and will try and repair these record-level errors.
- Other database corruptions can be caused by lost pages.
For those who don't want to experience corruption again, we offer protection and maintenance tool Firebird DataGuard now.