IBSurgeon FirstAID is the tool that can automatically diagnose and repair corrupted InterBase or Firebird databases - it can repair corruptions that neither gbak nor gfix can handle.
It uses its own layer for low-level database access without using the InterBase or Firebird engine, so it can perform real "surgical" operations and repair your database when all other standard mechanisms cannot.
Now you are in 5 minutes from the recovery of your corrupted Firebird or InterBase database:
Download FirstAID - it's free.
Open corrupted database with FirstAID Extractor and double click on the table name, then browse through table's data pages.
If you decide to recover data you see in FirstAID Extractor, purchase the license. What you see is what you will recover with FirstAID Extractor.
Make sure to read FirstAID (Firebird and InterBase) Recovery Guide before you start recovery actions!
Using IBFirstAID/FBFirstAID together with other standard recovery means such as the default gfix and gbak utilities it is possible to repair a corrupted database in more than 95% of all cases.
For other cases IBSurgeon offers technical support service - please contact support: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can send the diagnostic log to our support service for a free answer on whether your database recoverable or not, whether its recoverable by IBFirstAid directly, or whether we need to perform some manual work to assist the recovery process. We will also try and estimate how much of your data can be recovered if there really is a serious problem that will not allow 100% recovery.
There are a number of possible corruptions that IBFirstAID has been designed to repair and correct. These are listed below:
- Internal gds software consistency check (cannot find tip page (165)) The required Transaction Inventory Page is corrupt and the database cannot be opened. It is expected in this instance that neither gbak nor gfix will be able to repair your database (except in the case of a Read Only database). IBFirstAID will repair the missing pages and recover the database. It should be fixed with FirstAID Direct.
- Internal gds software consistency check (decompression overran buffer (178)....) One or more records are damaged. Data should be exported from the corrupted database with FirstAID Extractor.
- internal gds software consistency check (wrong record length (183)...) One or more records are damaged. Data should be exported from the corrupted database with FirstAID Extractor.
- Unknown database I/O error for file "*.gdb" Error while trying to read from the database file. This usually indicates that a number of database pages have probably been lost at the end of the database file (power failure?). In this instance the database cannot be opened. Gfix cannot repair this. IBFirstAID will recreate the missing system pages and deletes the wrong pointers.
- Database file appears corrupt. Wrong page type. Page NNN is of wrong type (expected X, found Y) This error can indicate a number of problems. But typically there are missing pages in the database, or the page that is being accessed is not the expected page type. For example, if the expected page type is 5, it can mean that some data may have been corrupted within a table. Such a corruption may prevent a sucessful backup backup or may make the table unavailable to the database. IBFirstAID fixes the wrong page pointers and repairs the database.
- Fragmented record NNN is corrupt in table TABLE(NNN) One or more fragmented records lost their fragments, so whole record cannot be assembled from fragments. In this case data should be exported from the corrupted database with FirstAID Extractor.
- Wrong record length. Cannot find backversion. IBFirstAID will check every record in database and will try and repair these record-level errors.
- internal gds software consistency check (pointer page vanished from mark_full (256), file: dpm.cpp line: 3240) Serious corruption, data export with FirstAID Extractor is recommended.
- Other database corruptions can be caused by lost pages, corrupted records, metadata problems, etc, etc.
For those who don't want to experience corruption again, we offer protection and maintenance tool Firebird DataGuard.